Our European Tour Director Gilles Gagnepain is the primary tour manager for Pink Martini’s three or four annual tours in Europe and the Middle East… but he also is the master of all of our complicated logistics for those tours, and has the extra responsibility of constantly exploring new touring ideas for us in different territories and at different venues overseas. Think of him as the Supervisor of the best summer camp ever. He keeps away the grizzly bears, leads the craft projects, assigns the bunks, and makes sure no one drowns. All while speaking to you in a charming hybrid of French and English.
A child of the 1960s, as a student in Paris he helped to organize a grand music festival “Campus à l’Oreille”, which took place in a dozen universities, and he has loved organizing complicated events ever since. He started on the road with Pink Martini in 2005, and in 2010 founded his own tour company, Your European Stage, which organizes and produces concerts and tours for artists such as Caetano Veloso, Suzanne Vega, Isabella Rossellini, Souad Massi, Carla Bruni, and many more. We’re proud that, surrounded by such talent, he remains so dedicated to and passionate about Pink Martini!
1. If you could have seen any musician in concert, dead or alive, who you never got to see live, who would it be?
2. What is your favorite Pink Martini song to perform?
When I was making lights on Pink Martini shows: “U plavu zoru”
3. What Pink Martini song gets stuck in your head?
4. If you could have a side gig in any current band, which?
Wahou….I would love to be Maestro ! with Berlin Philarmonique Orchestra, on Mozart Requiem!
5. If you had a robot that could do one household chore for you… what would it be?
clean my home
6. If you could instantly be fluent in any language, which?
7. Who is your favorite movie director?
8. What was the first concert you ever saw?
A blues… French song writer ! I was 14.
9. If you could have one dish from any restaurant appear instantly anytime, which?
Steak Tartare … very French ?
10. What music would you choose as a soundtrack to your most triumphant moment?
Surely depending of what kind of triumphant moment it is… James Brown ? Mozart ?
11. What’s your favorite sweet/dessert?
Clafoutis aux cerise
12. What illustrated animal or object would star in your children’s book?
I guess Dolphins
13. Who do you wish would play you in Pink Martini: The Movie?
The guy who run for the cappuccino for Thomas before each show. I will imagine to appear maybe 5 times in the movies. Each time in very short and funny challenges…
14. Pride of Lions, Pod of Whales… what would you call a pack of squirrels?
a pack of walking fur ?
15. If you could safely tour any ancient civilization, which?
Because you said safe ! I will say Aztec
16. What is your favorite non-musical hobby?
Working for my ranch, maintain the meadows, repair the fences…
17. If you were instantly skilled enough to have any one other occupation in the world besides musician, what would you choose?
Natural park supervisor
18. If you had complete creative control, what book would you like to turn into a movie?
Les Cavaliers from Joseph Kessel. Incredible story about the concept of pride in Afghanistan.
19. What is your favorite city in the world?
Sorry, but Paris !
20. What’s the most fun thing about being in Pink Martini?
From my position, to be adaptable to be able to negotiate with so much people from different cultures. With the band, all the moments, right after the show, where I see in their eyes they are proud of the show they just gave.
21. How are you keeping sane and calm during this crisis and these weeks of quarantine?
I’m living in a middle of nowhere in the countryside. I still have half time dedicated to office work, at home. Then, I’m very lucky to be able to dedicate all my time to my kids and my ranch.