It’s time for Meet Pink Martini – the crew edition! Pink Martini’s long-time stage manager Will Reischman is the quiet hidden engine of our stage shows. Our stage manager must ensure that every performance runs smoothly, from setting up the large amount of instruments and gear necessary for our “little orchestra”, to making sure the show itself runs like clockwork once the band is on stage. The job requires problem-solving, steadiness, strength, organization, and smarts, and Will brings all of those qualities in spades. And once in a while he even sits in with us on percussion!
Born and raised in Portland, Will grew up surrounded by music and live concerts. His mother, Julie, played the upright bass while his father, Steve, sings and plays the guitar. At the ripe young age of ten, Will began working in the live concert business for his father’s promotion company Showman Inc. and music has been his career ever since. A graduate of the University of Oregon, with a degree in International Studies and Spanish and a minor in Community Arts, Will worked at major venues throughout the Pacific Northwest before joining Pink Martini in 2008. Somehow, after 12 years on the road with the band, he’s not tired of us yet. When not working Will enjoys cooking, exploring the beautiful wilderness of the Pacific NW, gardening, and enjoying the company of friends and family. In February, Will announced his engagement to his lovely Greek girlfriend; he looks forward to an exciting bi-continental future.
1. If you could have seen any musician in concert, dead or alive, who you never got to see live, who would it be?
Fela Kuti at the Shrine in Lagos, Nigeria – Bob Marley, James Brown, Michael Jackson
2. What is your favorite Pink Martini song to perform?
U Plavu Zoru
3. What Pink Martini song gets stuck in your head?
4. If you could have a side gig in any current band, which?
5. If you had a robot that could do one household chore for you… what would it be?
Bathroom deep cleaning
6. If you could instantly be fluent in any language, which?
7. Who is your favorite movie director?
Tony Gatlif and Pedro Almodovar
8. What was the first concert you ever saw?
Probably a Bluegrass band.. Maybe the Good Ol’ Persons or another of my uncle’s gigs? First rock show was Los Lobos when I was around 8
9. If you could have one dish from any restaurant appear instantly anytime, which?
Surf and Turf from Mama’s Fish House in Maui
10. What music would you choose as a soundtrack to your most triumphant moment?
Electric Feel – MGMT, You and Me – Flume/Disclosure, Tell Me Something Good – Rufus & Chaka Khan
11. What’s your favorite sweet/dessert?
12. What illustrated animal or object would star in your children’s book?
13. Pride of Lions, Pod of Whales… what would you call a pack of squirrels?
14. Are you on the party bus or sleepy bus?
Guess… [ed. we’re guessing party!]
15. If you could safely tour any ancient civilization, which?