It’s Meet Pink Martini Time again, featuring our versatile vocalist and percussionist Timothy Nishimoto. He has been a key voice in concert and on Pink Martini albums since he joined the band permanently in 2003, after many appearances with us as a guest singer. A magnetic presence on stage with his smooth suits and even smoother dance moves, we keep him busy on numerous percussion instruments when he’s not front and center on the microphone. Timothy grew up in Los Angeles before settling in Oregon, and is also a noted sommelier and restaurateur, as well as being Pink Martini social media’s backstage tour documenter! He and his partner live in the beautiful countryside outside of Portland, with their giant and wonderful Bernese Mountain Dogs.
1. What is your favorite Pink Martini song to perform?
U Plavu Zoru. It is so lush, and dramatic, painful, and beautiful. I love being on stage surrounded by strings when we perform it with symphonies. I get chills every time!
2. What Pink Martini song gets stuck in your head?
Whenever there’s a new song we are working on, or it’s new to our repertoire. And this happens most often when I don’t LOVE the song!
3. If you could have a side gig in any current band, which?
I’d love to do backup vocals and percussion with Gregory Alan Isokov…I mean, with him in the room. I sing and play along to his songs almost every day!
4. If you had a robot that could do one household chore for you… what would it be?
Wash and put away the dishes, pots and pans!! I often cook 3 meals a day, and am often accused of using every pot and pan in the house! It’s a drag to clean up the kitchen after myself!!
5. What was the first concert you ever saw?
Bruce Springsteen!! I didn’t even like his music; I went with a friend and his parents!
6. If you could have one dish from any restaurant appear instantly anytime, which?
Fresh, handmade pasta with fresh shaved white Italian truffles
7. What’s your favorite sweet/dessert?
White Chocolate Raspberry birthday cake…hint, hint
8. What illustrated animal or object would star in your children’s book?
Curious George, the monkey! I LOVED him!!
9. Are you on the party bus or sleepy bus?
Always on the sleepy bus overnight, but often strapped down on the party bus, forced to drink their poisonous drinks.
10. What is your favorite non-musical hobby?
Pairing good wine and food!
11. What is your favorite city in the world?
San Sebastian, Spain. I’ve always been drawn to cities by the water, and I love the architecture. The culinary scene is awesome!
12. What’s the most fun thing about being in Pink Martini?
I have always loved traveling, learning new languages, and seeing family and friends around the world, and the touring life of Pink Martini fits right in!!
13. How did you choose your musical instrument?
I started singing at a very young age, so it was a natural fit for me to become a vocalist by profession! Percussion instruments were actually chosen for me by Thomas years ago so I could something else to do onstage when not singing.
14. How are you keeping sane and calm during this crisis and these weeks of quarantine?
My partner and I moved to Oregon wine country almost three years ago, up in the rolling hills, with land and an incredible view of Mount Hood. It’s our little Paradise, and so it has actually been very nice to be home for awhile, cooking, eating and drinking, and going on hikes!