Our fabulous guest singer Jimmie Herrod has been bringing audiences to their feet with his miraculous, transporting voice (and dazzling smile) since he started touring with us regularly in 2017. A native of the Pacific Northwest, born in Tacoma, Jimmie is the youngest member of our band but out-degrees us all, with Bachelors in music composition and performance from Cornish and a Masters of Music in Jazz Studies from Portland State University. Now based in New York City, he’s active with numerous groups both on the concert and theatrical stage, and is featured on lead vocals on Tomorrow, a 5-song Pink Martini EP which we released last year.
1. If you could have seen any musician in concert, dead or alive, who you never got to see live, who would it be?
Blossom Dearie, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Gladys Knight, Bill Evans, Chaka Khan, and so many other options
2. What is your favorite Pink Martini song to perform?
I love “Où est ma tête” and “Sunday Table,” but probably “Anna” would be my favorite
3. What Pink Martini song gets stuck in your head?
“Cante e Dance” <3
4. If you could have a side gig in any current band, which?
Björk, in any capacity, would be amazing to share a stage with
5. If you had a robot that could do one household chore for you… what would it be?
Does cooking count? [editor: yes!]
6. If you could instantly be fluent in any language, which?
French, without a doubt
7. Who is your favorite movie director?
Maybe Hayao Miyazaki?
8. What was the first concert you ever saw?
Either Christian singer Carmen, or Busta Rhymes
9. If you could have one dish from any restaurant appear instantly anytime, which?
My mother’s thanksgiving stuffing
10. What music would you choose as a soundtrack to your most triumphant moment?
Any of Björk’s early albums
11. What’s your favorite sweet/dessert?
I’m pretty bland generally, so I’d say mint chocolate or strawberry ice cream
12. What illustrated animal or object would star in your children’s book?
Probably a manta ray, I was obsessed with their wing span as a kid
13. Who do you wish would play you in Pink Martini: The Movie?
14. Pride of Lions, Pod of Whales… what would you call a pack of squirrels?
A squad of squirrelfriends
15. Are you on the party bus or sleepy bus?
Party party party
16. If you could safely tour any ancient civilization, which?
17. Tell us a good knock knock joke?
I fail at these every time lol
18. What is your favorite non-musical hobby?
Probably drawing, which I rarely do anymore
19. If you were instantly skilled enough to have any one other occupation in the world besides musician, what would you choose?
Sculptor, or something on the lines of a private investigator
20. What is your favorite city in the world?
Not sure, I think to some degree they all start to blend, but maybe that means there’s something to love about every place, and thus, in every culture/creed/person
21. What’s the most fun thing about being in Pink Martini?
Fun or funniest, either way the personalities, haha
22. How did you choose your musical instrument?
I played clarinet as a child, then started singing slowly, learning piano. I hope to learn something else, too, and better master what I already play.
23. How are you keeping sane and calm during this crisis and these weeks of quarantine?
I think there is a solidarity that can be felt through the screens on our phone and computers, and through our walls from our neighbors; it keeps me aware of how many of us are juggling the same thoughts which is calming and really comforting. I also play a lot of music in the house for myself, watch things that make me laugh, familiar things that never fail, and play some video games here and there.