Dan Faehnle is Pink Martini’s polymath of the guitar. He is somehow at ease in any musical style, effortlessly gliding through his complex finger calculus and translating it into your favorite groove. His guitar solos are legendary efforts that seem to channel a beautiful alien language, as if they sprang from deep space into colorful life. An Ohio native, Dan started playing with Pink Martini over 20 years ago, around the time of the release of Sympathique, and he composed our song “Ohayoo Ohio” (check it out on Splendor in the Grass). He’s also internationally known for holding the guitar chair in Diana Krall’s band for several years, starting in 2000, and he has long collaborated with other renowned jazz greats, such as Dr. Lonnie Smith, Joey DeFrancesco, and Delfeayo Marsalis. On tour Dan is known for his wry sense of humor and his post-show whiskey. We’ll keep bribing him with a tour bus supply of Maker’s for as long as we can keep him!
1. If you could have seen any musician in concert, dead or alive, who you never got to see live, who would it be?
2. What is your favorite Pink Martini song to perform?
Anna, Hey Eugene, Besame Mucho
3. What Pink Martini song gets stuck in your head?
4. If you could have a side gig in any current band, which?
As of now…..Dan Faehnle quartet
5. If you had a robot that could do one household chore for you… what would it be?
Clean any dishes or kitchen disaster that still remains after 1:00 am
6. If you could instantly be fluent in any language, which?
7. Who is your favorite movie director?
Norman Jewison, Ang Lee, Martin Scorsese, Hitchcock, Coen brothers
8. What was the first concert you ever saw?
9. If you could have one dish from any restaurant appear instantly anytime, which?
The Tarjarin (pasta) with white truffles and Rabbit on a spit at Filippo Oste in Albaretto (Lahnge – Piedmont)
10. What’s your favorite sweet/dessert?
11. What illustrated animal or object would star in your children’s book?
The boy in “Where the Wild Things Are”
12. Who do you wish would play you in Pink Martini: The Movie?
13. Pride of Lions, Pod of Whales… what would you call a pack of squirrels?
Dead if they don’t stop digging in my garden…….there’s nothin buried where they’re digging…. wtf
14. Are you on the party bus or sleepy bus?
I’m on bus 2. Except in Europe where I’m on bus 1. My bunk is on the left side bottom right. It’s not the most desirable bunk but it’s mine. Antonis is usually above me (farts) and Thomas is on the other side (sleeps)
15. If you could safely tour any ancient civilization, which?
16. Tell us a good knock knock joke?
Ice Cream Soda…….Ice Cream Soda who? Ice Cream Soda whole neighborhood can hear
17. What is your favorite non-musical hobby?
18. If you were instantly skilled enough to have any one other occupation in the world besides musician, what would you choose?
19. If you had complete creative control, what book would you like to turn into a movie?
The Pearl, by John Steinbeck
20. What is your favorite city in the world?
Portland, Paris, London
21. What’s the most fun thing about being in Pink Martini?
Sometimes it’s the shows. Sometimes it’s being in amazing places all over the world. Sometimes it’s the tour bus.
22. How did you choose your musical instrument?
My brother Bill
23. How are you keeping sane and calm during this crisis and these months of quarantine?