Artist, composer, and singer-songwriter Edna Vazquez has been a delightful and extraordinarily popular addition to Pink Martini’s lineup ever since she started touring with us as a regular guest singer in 2017. Her fearless voice and bright, warm spirit light up the stage. Born in Colima, Mexico, and growing up in Jalisco, Edna is now based in our hometown of Portland, and has also toured regularly with her own band, as well as with the all-female Mariachi Flor de Toloache. Late last year we released a 5-song Pink Martini EP (Bésame Mucho) with Edna on lead vocals featuring both her own original music (“Sola soy”) and classics such as the title track and “Quizás, quizás, quizás.”
1. If you could have seen any musician in concert, dead or alive, who you never got to see live, who would it be?
Nina Simone, The Cranberries, Irma Thomas, La Lupe, Björk
2. What is your favorite Pink Martini song to perform?
Ninna, Nanna (I don’t sing this song, but it’s one of my favorites), or La Soledad
3. What Pink Martini song gets stuck in your head?
Congratulations, and Qué Será Será
4. If you could have a side gig in any current band, which?
Juan Luis Guerra or Natalia Lafourcade
5. If you had a robot that could do one household chore for you… what would it be?
6. If you could instantly be fluent in any language, which?
7. Who is your favorite movie director?
Pedro Almodóvar/Tim Burton/Guillermo del Toro/Jan Svankmajer
8. What was the first concert you ever saw?
Green Day with Blink-182, in Estacada, OR in 1998
9. If you could have one dish from any restaurant appear instantly anytime, which?
Combination Vermicelli Noodles from Lúc Lác or Hot Wings from Pok Pok or Pozole soup from La Bonita or Rabo encendido with a banana shake from Pambiche
10. What music would you choose as a soundtrack to your most triumphant moment?
Yo Perreo Sola -Bad Bunny
Bendiciones -Bad Bunny
La Reina -La Lupe
11. What’s your favorite sweet/dessert?
Raspberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream
12. What illustrated animal or object would star in your children’s book?
13. Who do you wish would play you in Pink Martini: The Movie?
14. Pride of Lions, Pod of Whales… what would you call a pack of squirrels?
15. Are you on the party bus or sleepy bus?
16. If you could safely tour any ancient civilization, which?
17. What is your favorite non-musical hobby?
18. If you were instantly skilled enough to have any one other occupation in the world besides musician, what would you choose?
19. If you had complete creative control, what book would you like to turn into a movie?
The Mysterious Stranger, Mark Twain
20. What is your favorite city in the world?
21. What’s the most fun thing about being in Pink Martini?
22. How did you choose your musical instrument?
It was given to me as a present, then I fell in love with her
23. How are you keeping sane and calm during this crisis and these weeks of quarantine?
I just let it be. I feel it. Playing and singing songs I don’t usually sing.