Antonis Andreou is our Greek daredevil of the trombone. With dizzying solo chops and a big impish nature, he is a blast of personality on stage and off. Antonis joined Pink Martini in 2013, and his big horn sound, alongside trumpeter Gavin Bondy or Misho Iossifov, is a signature element of our shows. And who needs a trombone to have fun? Antonis is also the man behind the killer whistling solo on our recording of the song “Pata Pata” on Je dis oui! Pictured here on the left, next to our friend and English horn player Kyle Mustain, when he’s not touring with Pink Martini, Antonis brings his unflagging energy to numerous other international and Greek touring bands.
1. If you could have seen any musician in concert, dead or alive, who you never got to see live, who would it be?
2. What is your favorite Pink Martini song to perform?
3. What Pink Martini song gets stuck in your head?
4. If you could have a side gig in any current band, which?
Lincoln Center big band…
5. If you had a robot that could do one household chore for you… what would it be?
Clean up everything please…
6. If you could instantly be fluent in any language, which?
7. Who is your favorite movie director?
Joel and Ethan Coen
8. What was the first concert you ever saw?
I think Phil Collins…
9. If you could have one dish from any restaurant appear instantly anytime, which?
Traditional Cretan Ntakos from my favorite Cretan restaurant “Mikio” in Athens Greece.
10. What music would you choose as a soundtrack to your most triumphant moment?
“Chariots of Fire” by Vangelis Papathanasiou
11. What’s your favorite sweet/dessert?
12. What illustrated animal or object would star in your children’s book?
A funny monkey
13. Who do you wish would play you in Pink Martini: The Movie?
14. Pride of Lions, Pod of Whales… what would you call a pack of squirrels?
15. Are you on the party bus or sleepy bus?
Party bus of course…
16. If you could safely tour any ancient civilization, which?
17. Tell us a good knock knock joke?
I can’t say, it’s Greek to you…
18. What is your favorite non-musical hobby?
Hanging out with my friends
19. If you were instantly skilled enough to have any one other occupation in the world besides musician, what would you choose?
Jazz club owner
20. If you had complete creative control, what book would you like to turn into a movie?
The Life of Miles Davis. I could make it better than the movie I watched.
21. What is your favorite city in the world?
I can say my two favorites.
Athens and New York
22. What’s the most fun thing about being in Pink Martini?
Traveling all around the world, meeting new people, performing in beautiful theatres for great audiences and being with all these amazing friends and musicians of Pink Martini family. I feel very lucky being a part of this.
23. How did you choose your musical instrument?
Actually it chose me, and I fell in love with the trombone immediately.
24. How are you keeping sane and calm during this crisis and these weeks of quarantine?
I had long long time to stay home without being busy, so I really enjoy every second of these weeks. I hope I will see you all soon, stay safe!!!